Thursday, July 28, 2011

(No Such Thing As) Too Many Bags

I went to World Market with my mom last week and came across the cutest ruffled tote bag.  It was soooo cute.  It also cost $24.99.  So I looked at it and figured that I could make one for a lot cheaper.  Okay, for free. Hooray!  This is my version.  It's a little different.  I didn't feel like messing with an inner pocket, for one.  And I didn't hem the ruffle bottoms.  I liked the look of the serged edges.  I almost didn't line it, but Andrew guilted me into it.  (Thank you, honey.  Yes, you were right.)  Oh, and I decided to go with the ombré trend right now with the colors.  And I made the straps tie on through grommets.  Okay, so maybe it's very loosely based on the original bag.  Presenting the Mandolyn Ruffle Bag:



I'm planning to make for the my Etsy shop.  I'll admit, I really like this one. Every once in a while, it's fun to have something SuperRufflyGirly that's functional.

Then I went to Walmart because (drumroll, please...) they brought fabric back!  (Applause!)  They may not have the coolest selection, but seriously, where else can I get fabric for $1.50/yard?  Shoot, they even had patterns regularly priced at 97 cents.  I found some adorable red fabric that I loved and made a Buttercup Bag.  I made some piping to dress it up and added a layer of heavy stabilizer...mostly because I didn't want to go out and get the recommended fusible kind.  Whatever.  It totally worked.  (Whew!)

2 comments:

Casey B said...

Love the bag, and that red fabric rocks!

Karen said...

If you aren't the most incredibly creative genius...I don't know who is. I think I'll keep you around.

Mom

Blogging tips