Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Recreation

I hate when shows I love are cancelled.  It's the worst when they end unresolved. It's like closing a book when you're three-quarters of the way through it and throwing it into the ocean.  Or something.  I loved Joan of Arcadia, for a lot of reasons.  I'm still sad it's gone.  One of my very favorite episodes is "Recreation" because of a single conversation.  Joan is irritated with God.  (Isn't that a familiar feeling?)  As usual, she was the catalyst that sparked a chain of events that led to good things.  As usual, she doesn't quite understand that yet.

JOAN
So what's the big idea?

GOD
The big idea is...recreation.  You know what that means?

JOAN
 Whatever.

GOD
Well, let's break the word  down, shall we?
Re-create
To create again
To begin again
To start over
People need to do that.
Work is fine, but every now and then you've got to take a break and recreate.



I love it.  I always seem to come back to that scene.  I've been busy with good stuff.  Kids and school and volunteering at school and cooking and and cleaning and being.  I love all of that.  But I also really, really love making things.  I haven't stopped making.  (Or taking pictures!)  But I've been pushing that aside more and more so that I can get other things done.  And I think I need to reevaluate my balance.  I need to get back to the business of creating on a regular basis because it makes me happy.  

This year, my resolutions were to make something every week not out of obligation, but just because I want to and also to keep my Etsy shop stocked.  Keeping up with this blog helps keep me on track.  So here I go.  Again.  Recreating.  

No comments:

Blogging tips