Wednesday, August 8, 2012

It's Fab to be Four

Audrey turned four and had a Beatles party.  How cool is that?  It was genius- Twinkie Yellow Submarines, hot dogs made into octopuses, Here Comes The Sun Chips, and on and on.  So cute!  My kids especially loved watching the Beatles cartoon that was playing.

A kid's Beatles party!  For Audrey!  The crafty section of my brain was exploding with glee.  I reigned myself in and came up with a Yellow Submarine pillow with mini Beatles dolls.

I looked up a few pictures of the Yellow Submarine and the Fab Four (and their outfits) to give me a starting point.  I used felt and a scrap of yarn to create the submarine pillow front and loosely based the dolls from this pattern for mini felt dolls.  I sewed the dolls and their clothes all by hand, so I took my needle and thread along with a bin of felt scraps in front of the TV and watched British shows on Netflix.  That's a least a little bit of added authenticity, right?



The clothes just crack me up.  They can all be taken off and rearranged except for George's orange coat.   I couldn't make it stay closed unless I sewed him into it.  The price of high fashion.

Happy birthday, Audrey!  We're glad we could share it with you!



* It's always nice to know that someone likes a handmade gift.  Making things is fun all it's own, so knowing that it makes someone else smile is definitely a cherry on the top.  Or a touch of Cool Whip.  Mmmm.  Ice cream....  Thank you, Casey, for sharing the pictures of Audrey opening her gifts.  The look of your face is the best reaction.  Ever.




4 comments:

Casey B said...

Thank you thank you thank you for your oh so thoughtful gift! It is jaw droppingly cute and something we'll treasure.

nejyerf said...

i have a friend whose little girl LOVES the beatles. if you can make another set these along with the pillow i will buy them in a heartbeat.

seriously.

let me know.

Johanna at The Baker Twins said...

I was one of the guests at the party. I am amazed at your creativity and craftsmanship. What a fantastic talent you have. Truly one of the cutest things I've seen in forever. Bravo!

Mandy said...

Oh my gosh, Johanna- you are so nice! Thank you!

Jen- let me check my supply and get back to you. Wait, who am I kidding? Of course I'll make some for you. I did it without patterns for the most part, so it may vary slightly. When do you need it by?

Blogging tips